Monday, June 20, 2005

should i be worried?

My cholesterol level is off the charts. Dr Ong instructed me that when I return from China, I should go for a blood test, but even without looking at the results. I know that my cholesterol level is off the charts. I recall vividly, the last time I had my blood test, Dr Ong said, “boy, you are going to die young.”

It didn’t really bother me that much, because my cholesterol levels returned to normal when I went back to Australia. Seafood is a luxury for poor students like myself in Australia.

For the two weeks I’ve spent in Singapore and Hong Kong, the meals I have been having is nothing short of extravagant, not in a healthy way of course. The very first night in Hong Kong, for instance, we drove an hour to this rural town for seafood. The dinner included :

* Clam soup
* Steamed bamboo clam in soy sauce
* Emperoress clam with garlic
* Baked sea praying-mantis in butter
* Steamed fish
* Baked lobster
* Sea snails in Chinese wine

A dinner of such basically set the pace for the rest of the trip.

Should I be worried? I think only when I face Dr Ong when I get my blood test results. Meanwhile, thou shall not waste when presented with good food. I’ll do my exercises when I return to Melbourne.

No comments: