Sunday, July 10, 2005

Retail Therapy

Retail therapy. Less than one week in Melbourne, three weeks before I start work and already I’m spending money. It is one of those Sundays where I would appreciate some company on this beautiful day, but I had to end up having a date with myself. Well, it really isn’t as sad as it sounds, because it can never be a bad thing to spend money on myself, instead on someone else who thinks of you as a forgotten memory right after the dinner bill.

I walked around St. Kilda and came across this hair saloon that is called ‘Split Ends’. I thought it was the dumbest name one can come up with. The way I figure it, it is like saying ‘don’t say we didn’t warn you.’ I’m keen to know how long this saloon has been around. Names like this may work after all.

I bought myself a dark brown suede jacket. I don’t really know why I did that, probably because I never had anything suede. But this jacket from CM is a strange one, it has a cotton hood attached to it. The hood can be removed, but the point is, why have a hood on a jacket? I raised this issue to the sale assistant and she assured me that it is the latest fashion. Who decides this fashion anyway? She showed me their catalogue with a male model with a suave look wearing the same jacket I bought and proudly displaying the cotton hood sticking out at the back like a printing error. I gave this look of distrust and needed much assurance that I wouldn’t look like a twit if I should choose to leave the hood on. The jacket is now hanging in my cupboard. I’ll wait for the occasion to wear it, and I’ll leave the hood on to see my friend’s reaction. Perhaps I should keep the brochure in my pocket just in case I need to defend myself that ‘it is the latest fashion’.

No comments: