Wednesday, July 27, 2005

6:25pm on a Wednesday

Wednesday evenings are strange. While routine determines what I do for the other evenings of the week; Mon: badminton, Tue: Movie or Kung Fu, Thur: Kung Fu, Fri: dinner with friends, Sat: swim, Sun: bible says relak…… Wednesdays I’m stuck somewhere between reluctance to do something and having an eventfully forgettable evening.

After spending four hours in tutorials and marking, I’m drained from the energy that is necessary to kick-start the motivational voice which will talk to me in a less than subtle fashion, “hey you need to get out tonight”.

The options I have require careful thought, in order to optimise the most viable plan to prevent an otherwise wasted evening. Will it be swim, or tango, or poker at the pub? Three options are two too many. More juice of energy is required to push myself toward selecting one. I sit here lamenting that I have too many choices to make, yet I have spare energy to type out this entry in a verbose manner, requiring no less energy than the amount required to make the choice in the first place. I pity whoever that is reading this. But thank you if you have come thus far. I can’t even begin to fathom what it is like to read pleonastic claptrap from a tired blogger suffering from verbal diarrhoea.

It is 6:30pm, Tango classes are at 7pm, poker at 8, the swim centre closes at 8:45. Which will it be? Indecisiveness requires persuasion from external sources. This phenomenon is best represented by the Singaporean self-convincing notion of “If you go then I go loh.”

I need to make phone calls to get a better picture of who will be at the Tango class, and who will be at the Poker tables tonight. It is amazing how a bit of organisation can provide clarity in decision making. But alas, his phone is turned off, and there has yet to be reply from her. My friends have abandoned me. How could anyone leave me marooned within my labyrinth of alternatives? Think I’m going paranoid here, but it is okey. I study psychology, I can fix myself……..

There, I’ve fixed myself over a nice dosage of logic and two glasses of Scotch whiskey I promise myself before the evening ends.

Now what? Wait, my phone rings……….

….. tango class it is.

No comments: