I was watching winter Olympics the other day. It was not with any particular interest but just happened to be stuck on the channel after some scrupulous channel surfing. The winter Olympics is the showcase where elite athletes compete in style, grace and seamless elegance. I was therefore taken aback when there were two men on-screen prodding along boorishly like two cavemen spear-fishing in the snow. Apparently it was an Olympic event called ‘up-hill’ skiing. How and why would anyone want to ski uphill? Skiing uphill to me is like a sick joke by the organisers whom in their retired years take sadistic pleasure watching young athletes compete in a game with little idea that the element of fun has already been removed.
Somehow, this seems to be the theme of my week, if not for the rest of my year. I really enjoy what I am doing at the moment; that is research work. I love coming up with concepts and theories to explain things, like drawing boxes and lines to explain to my mom why she has such a high propensity to nag. But like Olympic skiing, someone has to come along to remove the element of fun and turned it into a sport. With my work, the days of gliding downhill has passed. I am now facing the last hurdle which promises to be as pleasurable as skiing up a very tall hill carrying two coconuts with my hands tied to my back. Nevertheless, I do look forward to the challenge, if just to purge this feeling of anxiety out of my system.
It has finally sunk in. The holiday has ended.
However, I did bring with me some very potent memories that will help give me a push along the way; getting drunk like a warrant officer in Vietnam; playing poker till the sun rises; and spending so much quality time with my best mates.
A little further, just a little further……. it won’t be long before it’ll all go downhill once again, in the nicest way of course.
Monday, February 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment